Wednesday, June 17, 2009

In Demand

I once attended a training by a motivational speaker. She was talking about how the words we use to describe a situation can have a direct impact on how we view the situation. For example, when our “in” box at work was larger then our “out” box we may use words like, “I am stressed out” or “I am over-worked” to describe our attitude at that given time. This motivational speaker recommended that we use the term “in demand” rather then “stressed” or “overworked”. Apparently we were supposed to feel better about the ever increasing amount of work piling up on our desk if we felt some form of importance or felt we were “in demand” rather then “stressed out”.

I no longer have a desk with an “in” box or “out” box. My calendar is no longer filled with appointments and meetings. Due to recent events in my life, I find myself in a similar situation as many Americans right now. I have returned to the role of a full time stay at home parent. My days are definitely different now then they were when I worked outside of the home, but my mornings are never by any means dull. At 7:00am I wake my children up and ask them to get in the shower. This is followed by 5 minutes of Megan and Hailey yelling at each other and debating who is going to get in the shower first. Interesting note here, according to this argument they both got in the shower first yesterday. I sleepily wander into the kitchen to start the coffee. Tom breezes by me, kisses cheek, and says, “I’ve gotta go. Have a good day. I love you.” He then yells to our daughters that he is leaving, loves them, and have a good day. Angelic voices yell back, “Love you Daddy.” Please note that this is the first of many good-byes this morning from Tom.

High pitched screaming from Megan to Hailey, “You’re taking all the hot water! You’ve been in there for 20 minutes!”

Hailey yells back, “I just got in here!”

I yell to Megan that Hailey has not been in there 20 minutes and please be patient. I also explain that she could have gotten in the shower first. I calmly ask Hailey to please finish up. Back into the kitchen to determine if lunches need to be packed.

Tom comes flying into the house. “Have you seen my Blackberry?”

“No.” Note to self, really need to make that appointment to have Tom tested for early onset of Alzheimers. Tom begins running through house looking for Blackberry. I make a half hearted effort to look for it when, again, high pitched screaming from, this time, Hailey. “Mom, I don’t have anything to wear!”

“What do you mean you don’t have anything to wear? I just did laundry.”

We then work our way through every pair of pants she owns and I get the following run down: too short, too long, too dark, too light. The shirts are too fancy, not fancy enough, sleeves too long, sleeves too short, and “bunchy in the front”….what? Frustrated I tell her to find something to wear or I will find something for her. Hailey could really benefit from attending a school with a uniform policy.

Tom pokes his head in the room and says, “Found it. I’m running late. Have a good day. Love you. Bye girls, I love you!” Angelic voices yell, “Love you Daddy.”

I head back into the kitchen. Where was I? Of yes hot lunch or cold lunch. Megan walks in and dives into her cereal. “Mom can you pack a little more in my lunch today? Yesterday you didn’t pack enough.”

“Sure” Of course yesterday she told me that I packed too much the day before. I appear to be having difficulty finding that common ground. Hailey comes into the kitchen wearing the first outfit that I had recommended. Of course.

I begin making lunches when Tom runs into the house again. “I forgot my wallet. Have you seen it?” Frantic running through the house occurs once again. I recommend that Tom find a place to put all this stuff when he gets home from work so we don’t have this problem everyday. Tom mumbles something that I’m pretty sure wasn’t nice. Screaming in the kitchen from Megan, “You cannot have the last of the cereal. It’s mine!”

“I haven’t had any!” Hailey screams back. No more patience, I yell at Megan to give Hailey the cereal box.

Tom flies through kitchen, “Found it. I’m going to be late. Have a good day. Love you!” Angelic voices call out, “Love you Daddy!” I think this is finally the last good-bye from Tom. Three is our average, sometimes more, sometimes less. I look at the clock and realize that I need to start the car. It’s winter need I say more. I down my boots, coat, hat, scarf, and gloves open the garage door and start the car. I head back into the house where I am bombarded with, “I need you to sign this.” “I forgot I have a spelling test.” “My field trip money is due today.” “I can’t find any socks.” “Where are my hat and gloves?” Now this confuses me because everyday when the girls get home from school, I ask them about their homework, we work on it, and I assume we are all set for the next day. We are all set until the next day when we are 5 minutes from leaving for school and half a dozen things pop up that need to be taken care of. “Get your stuff on. It’s time to go.” At 8:25am I pile the girls into the car and we head off to school. School is less than a mile from home but we manage to get through the spelling list. I pull into the parent drop off line with all the other Moms and Dads of suburbia unlock the door for the girls. “Bye, have a great day!” Finally it is my turn for the angelic voices, “Love you Mom.” The door slams behind them. Total silence. I think to myself, “I am in demand.”

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laughs - looking forward to the next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in the home ,is much more difficult than having a job outside it. I tell everyone I took the easy way out. I felt nostalgic about your musings on Murphy and a little sad too. Your a good writer. Miss ya! =) Jenn G

    ReplyDelete