Sunday, August 30, 2009

20 Something vs. 30 Something

Before Tom and I moved to this new area we had an opportunity to go out with a group of friends for a night out on the town. One of the couples offered to pick Tom and I up at our house and drive because our house was on the way to the restaurant. They arrived at our house in their beautiful Honda mini van. Now let me be clear here, I am the daughter of former GM employee so I always buy American when it comes to my vehicles. However, if I ever had to buy a foreign mini van, I would definitely buy a Honda. This mini van is amazing! The side doors can automatically open and close at the touch of a button. The seats are comfortable, and the interior as well as exterior are pretty stylish. I was impressed.

We had a fantastic dinner with our friends, and then we all headed over to a favorite Irish pub for a couple after dinner drinks. Parking around this pub could be tricky on any given day, but on a Saturday night it could be darn near impossible. We were ecstatic when we approached the pub and discovered there was a parallel parking place right in front of the pub. My friend pulled into the spot, hit the automatic door button, we all hopped out of the van, hit the automatic close button, and happily headed into the pub giddy with laughter and enthusiastically talking about our luck at finding such great parking. It was as I was walking into the pub that I happened to notice a group of younger guys standing outside of the pub smoking, and smirking at us. What was so amusing to these young, single, no obligations guys? Was it our obvious enthusiasm over finding front space parking? Was it the awe and excitement that Tom and I showed over automatic side doors on a mini van? Was it my clearly jazzed up clothing that I sported because I was so excited to be out of the standard jeans and t-shirt? Was it the near spillage of toddler toys and books that often happens when a mini van doors are opened? Or was it the obvious joy all of us showed over a big night out on the town without our children? Did we appear, dare I say, pathetic to these 20 something’s?

Personally, if I were a 20 something, I would have found the whole scene of these 30 something’s experiencing a big night out in the family mini van to be pretty comical. When I was a 20 something, I swore that I would never own a mini van. Tom and I purchased one just prior to Hailey’s birth. When I was a 20 something, I could head out any night of the week with my friends and stay out as late as I wanted. Tom and I are now reliant on the availability of babysitters, and we are also obligated to the babysitter’s curfew. We no longer close down the joint, because the babysitter has to be home by midnight, and the kids will be up early the next day. When I was a 20 something I could sleep in until noon the next day. Now I hope I can sleep in until 8:00am. To further that point, when I was a 20 something I was often crawling into bed at 4 am. Now as a 30 something there have been far too many mornings when I have been waking up at 4 am. Dreadful! When I was a 20 something, I had some standard “night out outfits”. Now I have standard “Mom outfits” and a night out requires hours of thumbing through my wardrobe looking for something “fun” to wear. It even occasionally necessitates a trip to the mall for a new purchase. When I was a 20 something empty diet coke bottles spilled out of my car. It wasn’t all that long ago that baby bottles and sippy cups were spilling out of my car. Now it is usually stale French fries, empty Gatorade bottles, and wadded up old school papers that never made it into the house. When I was a 20 something, I never really appreciated those nights when I was out laughing and having carefree moments with my friends. Now I plan outings days sometimes weeks in advance and look forward to them with great anticipation as the days edge closer to our night out. Now I truly cherish a night out with friends.

Yes, I sometimes miss those carefree moments of my youth, but I would never trade today for yesterday. I would never trade my girls for the no strings, no responsibilities of my youth. These truly are the days for Tom and me. Those 20 something guys were probably sympathetic towards those 30 something adults hopping out of a mini van, but these 30 something parents are sympathetic of those 20 something guys who just don’t know what they are missing out on. Nothing beats the smell of a newborn baby. Nothing beats watching your baby take their first walking steps and fall into your arms laughing and proud. Nothing beats watching your child learn to ride a two wheeler. Nothing beats the smile on your child’s face when they make a great play at a sporting event. Nothing beats a hand made Valentine from your child. Nothing beats breakfast in bed made by your children and spouse. Nothing beats crayon pictures of your family. Nothing beats an, “I love you Mom and Dad,” when the finances are tight and work is stressful. Nothing beats being a 30 something with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment